You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered up to seven days before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day. Ten days before the main test date, you can check in your Candidate Area to get full details of your speaking test schedule.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Once you have completed the online registration process, please scan the following and email to us within 5 calendar days:
- a valid copy and original of your passport or national ID card (Foreigners must present a Valid Passport). Please note that this is the same document you will present to test day administrators on the test day.
- a bank deposit slip for the test fee of 145,000FRS (all payments are to be deposited in the bank - details of the account will be specified in the confirmation email as well as in step 6 below).
6. CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
The cost of sitting a test is 145,000FRS. You can pay for your test via a bank transfer or direct deposit into our account.
For a direct deposit, payments should be made at Standard Chartered Bank. Please deposit cash or cheques only.
Payments made by bank transfer must include bank charges and will need to be cleared before your application is confirmed. The details of the British Council account are:
Bank Name: Standard Chartered Bank Cameroon SA
Bank Account Name: British Council Yaounde
Bank Account Number: 080200641 00 54
Bank Account Sort Code: 10004
Bank Code: 00200
Once you have made the payment, please send us the bank transfer receipt with the rest of your registration documents.
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
We need to receive all documents within five calendar days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student. For results sent by International Courier, we charge 45,000FRS for courier.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
We will send you a confirmation email within three working days of your application
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us six weeks before your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
Once registered, candidates can only apply for a refund if:
- you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25% administration fee.
- you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (PDF 42kb) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.
If you book your IELTS test with the British Council you can take advantage of our exclusive access to a wide range of learning materials – all designed to help you get the best possible score in your IELTS test.